Thursday, February 20, 2014

What Dublin Core element would YOU like to work with?

Our digital imaging project has been assigned, and we've got Dublin Core elements spinning around in our head. But what to choose, what to choose?

Like many of my LS 566 classmates, I'm currently trying to figure out how to make some sense out of ranking the 15 Dublin Core elements in order of preference to work with for our big semester project. A whole Dublin Core element all to myself, should be easy right? Pick the easy one you dolt! Well, some of them are theoretically simpler than others, but they all have their wrinkles and quirks, and I don't foresee any one path carrying significantly less work than any other...not that that is a great way of going about choosing to begin with.

So, what do we have to work with here...I know I left a list of Dublin Core elements lying around here somewhere.

Voila!:
-Title
-Creator
-Subject
-Description
-Publisher
-Contributor
-Date
-Type
-Format
-Identifier
-Source
-Language
-Relation
-Coverage
-Rights

If I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this project, and I have no reason to suspect I won't, then I might as well get my money's worth and pick something I'm actually interested in working with. Subject is an obvious choice, right off the bat, as I have enjoyed subject description in the past, and am always fascinated with trying to figure out what an item is about. Perhaps I can bring some elements of controlled vocabulary to it as well?

Title is pretty straightforward, but when dealing with items that don't necessarily have an already-defined title, it posits the chance of complications.

Creator...oooo, there's another one where some possibility of vocabulary control exists.

Lot of tough choices ahead, but I'm sure there will be some extremely valuable experience going along with any element I ultimately get assigned. What would you pick?

1 comment:

  1. I can see my plan is working ... the process of *deciding* which element is causing you to *think closely* about (at least) most of the elements :)

    Plus, you'll really be working with 3 elements, though in charge of only one ... more later!

    --Dr. MacCall

    ReplyDelete