Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Metadata Opportunities for Librarians

As I inch closer toward completion of my MLIS, thoughts invariably turn to what comes next in my career. Though I have a great deal of interest in a traditional library or archival job, including areas such as reference or cataloging, I am also increasingly aware of the possibilities of library and information professionals outside the traditional walls of our field. In a recent blog post, LS 566 classmate Molly Porter discussed her work as an archivist for the NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, and some of the non-traditional and metadata-related activities that increasingly characterize her work. Examples include: the "crafting of a metadata strategy for the center's film and media migration project," continued development and updating of web content, as well as increased social-media activities of varying kinds.

Having had the fantastic opportunity to experience a similar work environment during an internship with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, I can echo the increasing role that metadata plays in the world of information professionals, and the excellent chance it affords us to branch out from our traditional role inside the library. The tasks I was responsible for were two-fold: metadata description of digitized documents into a topical digital archive, and the digitization of project documents and reports, and their subsequent entry into the project's document repository. The former job had me manipulating metadata in a manner that was distinctly similar to the controlled process of library cataloging, including the application of document titles, authors, and even subject headings (created from a archive-specific taxonomy). The latter project, by contrast, bore more similarities to records management and preservation, and any controls placed on the metadata entered were a result of my own preferences. This task, especially, illustrated to me just how important consistency of metadata entry can be to the organization of a database or records repository, and how much responsibility the metadata creator bears for it.

It is exciting that library and information professionals are increasingly afforded the opportunity of metadata-related jobs, not just with scientific organizations such as NASA, but also in the corporate world, with health and medical organizations, and countless other environments in which the manipulation and organization of metadata, records, and digital documents require our background. Would love to hear from any of you that regularly work with metadata, or have been able to find your librarian skills in demand outside the library walls.

3 comments:

  1. Every day, every class I seem to be finding out more ways I can use this MLIS degree I am working towards. I feel almost overwhelmed at all the possibilities. Working for NASA or a federal research lab (part of the department of energy) has been a dream of mine. With this degree, the option it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I just wrote a pretty long comment and lost it. Oh, well. Basically, what I said was that I have found great pleasure in bridging the gap between the disciplines of computer science and history at the university where I work. While I haven't had many opportunities in the classroom, metadata experience is providing me with tools to bring digital humanities not only to the history majors, but to computer science majors who can think of creative ways to put their knowledge to use. This may not technically be untraditional library/archives work, but I am amazed at how little exposure these disciplines have had with one another. It brings me great pleasure to mediate these experiences and I hope to do more of it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. same thing happened to me wrote a long comment only to have it go away. essence was that at EVMS we have a collection of print theses and I wonder why they aren't being preserved digitally. Not working on metadata project currently but am entertaining one with the Norfolk Academy of Medicine

    ReplyDelete